Bonita Mercer is a country music singer songwriter from Northern Ontario, Canada.
Her passions are music, training horses and meeting new people.
You will have heard her song playing on the playlist for 24-3-14 on Inverclyde Radio hosted by Hillbilly Bob (now no longer broadcasting).
Bonita Mercer Country Music Singer
1. I’ve Just Seen A Face – Rick Robinson and The Bayou Boys
2. Little Bit of Texas – Chris Green Project
3. Two Beers Ago – Darren Rhodes
4. Someone’s Child – Bonita Mercer
5. Woman In Tennessee – Diesel Outlaws
6. 5 O’clock Shadow – Rod Ballou
7. Drop On By – Laura Bell Bundy
8. Family Oh Family – Lance Friend
9. The Girl’s Alright – Russ Still
10. Bonita – What I’m Looking For: 10/2:58 (Juanita Wilkins) Larry Mercey Publishing (SOCAN). Album: You’ll Be The One. Executive Producer: Ross Allen.
11. Blow Away – Shane Chisholm
12. Stay Country – Michael Cosner
13. Falling In Love – Ava Baber
Canadian Folk and Country Music History
Appalachian folk music was largely Scottish and Irish, with an important influence also being the African American country blues.
Parts of Ontario, British Columbia and the Maritime provinces shared a tradition with the Appalachian region, and country music became popular quite quickly in these places.
Fiddlers like George Wade and Don Messer helped to popularise the style, beginning in the late 1920s. Wade was not signed until the 1930s, when Victor Records, inspired by the success of Wilf Carter the year before, signed him, Hank Snow and Hank LaRivière.
Radio and television stations in Canada which play country music, however, are sometimes more flexible in how they define the genre than their counterparts in the United States. Canadian country stations have commonly played artists more commonly associated with folk music, such as Bruce Cockburn, Leahy, Spirit of the West and The Rankin Family. (Wikipedia).